Kaleiçi is the historic city center of Antalya, Turkey. Until modern times, almost the entire city was confined within its walls. It has structures dating from the Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk, Ottoman and modern Turkish republican eras. The Kaleiçi area is located in the centre-eastern portion of the city along the mediterranean coast fronted by the yacht harbour that dates to the Roman era.
The name Kaleiçi means “Inside the Kale” or “Inner Kale” (Kale itself means castle or fortress).
The Kesik Minare (Broken Minaret) standing in the streets of Kaleiçi (Old Antalya) in Turkey was originally built as a Roman temple in the 2nd century AD. In the 7th century, it was converted into a Byzantine church in honor of the Virgin Mary, but it was heavily damaged in the 8th century during the Arab invasions. In the 10th century it was repaired again. The church was converted into a mosque when the Sultanate of Rum acquired Antalya. It was then when the actual minaret was added. In 1361 – when the crusader king of Cyprus took Antalya from the Seljuks – it became a church again, only to become reconverted into a mosque during the rule of Sehzade Korkut. The temple turned church turned mosque was destroyed in a fire of 1846, but the minaret survived, as the Kesik Minare.